Our first project was in cooperation with Tiwi Designs art centre and was led by project director, celebrated aboriginal photographer and former NAIDOC artist of the year Wayne Quilliam. This has been running since April 2017.
We launched the project by purchasing camera equipment, laptops and recording devices for participants in the community. This was then supported by a series of workshops ran by Wayne with content coordinated by the arts centre and Xavier Catholic College (the local school).
- To promote the strength and beauty of Tiwi culture with the rest of the world.
- To show contemporary indigenous life and how traditional culture is evolving.
- Engage and empower the community to document and preserve culture & knowledge for future generations.
- Provide equipment and develop documentation skills which can benefit the community.
- Create a video series including interviews with cultural leaders and other members of the community.
- The creation of a 2019 photo calendar showcasing a selection of images from the project.
- A T-Shirt collaboration using traditional Tiwi designs in partnership with the local community art centre.